After the Arabs and the Pakistanis, the Uzbeks have come to the forefront of Al Qaeda-inspired global jihad.
—- From my article of September 6,2007, titled “Global Jihad: Uzbeks To The Fore – International Terrorism Monitor—Paper No. 273” at http://www.southasiaanalysis.org/%5Cpapers24%5Cpaper2360.html
On August 15,2007, the Pakistani authorities handed over to Germany Tolga Durbin, a German citizen of Turkish origin, who belonged to the Islamic Jihad Union (IJU), an Uzbek terrorist organization, which claimed to symbolize the Muslims of the world and not merely the Uzbeks. It was carefully aligned with Al Qaeda and the Afghan Taliban and drew its recruits from the non-Arab sections of the Islamic world, particularly the Uzbeks, the Turks who’re ethnically close to the Uzbeks and European white converts to Islam.
2.After interrogating him, the German Police arrested on September 4, 2007, Fritz Martin Gelowicz, 28, a German convert to Islam, Daniel Martin Schneider, 21, another German convert to Islam, and Adem Yilmaz, 29 of Turkish origin on charges of their being members of the IJU. A fourth particular person Gofir Salimov, an Uzbek, who was also suspected to be a member of the IJU, managed to flee Germany before he might be arrested. The German authorities claimed that the arrested individuals, who were led by Gelowicz, have been planning to assault with large automotive bombs the Ramstein military airbase, about 140 km South-West of Frankfurt, and the Frankfurt airport. The Ramstein airbase is the largest base utilized by the US military in Europe. The investigation brought out the title of one other member of the IJU in Germany Attila Selek, often known as Muaz. He was also arrested.
3.It was reported that the target of the planned attack on the Ramstein base was to pressure Germany to close down its air base in Termez, Uzbekistan, which was offering logistic support for some 3,000 German soldiers serving within the International Safety Help Power in Afghanistan. Through the searches undertaken by the German Police after the arrest of the 4 individuals, they recovered a 35% solution of hydrogen peroxide, stored in a hideout, which might have been transformed into an explosive device and 26 navy detonators smuggled from Istanbul to Germany. The police filed a charge-sheet in opposition to the arrested individuals on September 2,2008.
4. During the trial, Gelowicz and the three different defendants admitted that they were members of the IJU and that their deliberate attack, which couldn’t be carried out because of their arrests before their plans could make progress, was timed to coincide with a vote in the German parliament on extending the nation’s military presence in Afghanistan. In their testimonies additionally they stated that they went to Pakistan in 2006 to endure training in a camp of the IJU.
5. All of the four had been found guilty by a Dusseldorf court on March 5,2010. Fritz Gelowicz and Daniel Schneider, the 2 German converts to Islam, had been jailed for 12 years every and the 2 Germans of Turkish origin, Adem Yilmaz and Aytila Selek, received 11-yr and 5-year prison phrases respectively.
6. Throughout the investigation of this case, the German Police reportedly discovered that Eric Breininger, one other white convert to Islam who changed his identify after conversion as Abdul Ghafar, had escaped to Pakistan via Egypt and Iran and was operating from a camp of the IJU within the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA). He was born in Neunkirchen within the Saarland area of Germany, in 1987. His parents divorced when he was a toddler. In 2006, he met some members of the IJU and embraced Islam. On May 23,2008, an internet site associated with the IJU posted a video interview with Eric Breininger wherein he warned that “Germany – along with every different nation collaborating within the occupation of Afghanistan – ought to count on assaults by Muslims”. On September 25, 2008, the German Police issued a glance-out notice for Eric Breininger, and Houssain Al Malla, who had been wanted for trial within the Ramstein plot case. On October 21,2008, another video message of Breininger was posted by the IJU wherein he denied any plans for a terrorist assault in Germany. Elif Medya, a Turkish-language jihadi media outlet, released a video on September 11, 2009, displaying Ramadan donations being given to the German and Turkish members of the IJU by which Breininger was shown together with another one who was described as the Turkish jihadi commander Abu Zarr (Ebu Zarr). It was said that Abu Zarr had traveled from Chechnya to Afghanistan/Pakistan. On April 15, 2010, in one other video message Breininger claimed that the “German Taliban Mujahideen” had carried out an attack against an American base in Paktika, East Afghanistan, between Kabul and Kandahar. He described it as the primary operation of the German Taliban in Afghanistan. Subsequently, the Pakistani authorities claimed to have killed him in an encounter on April 30,2010.
7. Whereas the Dusseldorf trial was on, the German Police arrested in February,2010, two persons of immigrant origin with German passports, one among whom, a lady, was described by the media because the wife of Gelowicz on a charge of amassing money for the IJU from the Muslim group in Germany and sending it to the IJU through an middleman in Turkey. They stated a third particular person of immigrant origin wished in this case was absconding. The police didn’t give the total names of the three persons. They have been merely identified as 21-12 months-old Alican T, 31-yr-outdated Fatih Ok, and a girl, 28-yr-previous Filiz G. They had been charged in a neighborhood courtroom in August,2010, with supporting the IJU and a company described as the German Taliban. They were also accused of recruiting members for Al Qaeda and spreading propaganda materials online.
8. In July 2010, Ahmed Sidiqi, a German citizen of Afghan origin who had disappeared from Hamburg along with 11 different Muslims together with his Indonesian wife in 2009, was arrested by a group of plain-clothed US troopers in Kabul while he was going to the German embassy. Sidiqi went to Germany from Afghanistan within the early nineties. He became a naturalised German citizen in 2001. He labored at Hamburg’s airport as a cleaner. In March,2009, he and his wife flew to Peshawar, the place they joined 10 others including a German of Syrian descent, Rami Makanesi, a German of Iranian origin, Shahab Dashti and Naamen Meziche, a French citizen of Algerian origin. In keeping with the German information journal Der Spiegel, Sidiqi told his US interrogators that after receiving training in Pakistan, he fought in Afghanistan and met Said Bahaji, who’s wanted for involvement in 9/11. Sidiqi reportedly moved to Mir Ali, a border city in North Waziristan the place he met Sheikh Younis al-Mauretani, who Sidiqi stated had turn out to be Al Qaeda’s third most senior chief. The Sheikh informed him about plans for a sequence of attacks in a number of European nations, together with the UK, Germany and France, in line with Der Spiegel. Sidiqi claimed that Osama bin Laden had authorised the plot and likewise provided some funding.
9. The claims made by Sidiqi appear to have triggered issues in US and European security companies concerning the likelihood of Mumbai-26/11 model terrorist strikes within the UK, France and Germany involving commando fashion attacks with mixed modus operandi combining the usage of hand-held weapons and explosives. The objective will be to punish EU nations enjoying a outstanding function within the operations in opposition to the Taliban in Afghanistan. The Madrid terrorist strikes of March 2004 and the London terrorist strikes of July 2005 had been directed towards the US-led invasion and occupation of Iraq. The terrorist strikes deliberate now would seek to punish the West for its involvement in Afghanistan.
10 Within the Madrid strikes, North African members of Al Qaeda performed an active position. Pakistani suicide bombers performed an lively position within the London blasts. It is probably going that a mixture of jihadis of Pakistani (in UK), North African (in France) and Uzbek and Turkish origin (in Germany) may play a job in the Afghanistan-targeted terrorist strikes now being deliberate. One discovered an Afghanistan focus even in the Mumbai—26/11 terrorist strikes by the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LET) since many of the foreigners killed came from nations whose troops had been fighting in Afghanistan.
11. Al Qaeda and the Pakistani Taliban are looking for an Afghanistan-centered operation in Europe, but there aren’t any indications that skilled individuals for such an operation may need already been dispatched to Europe. The present Drone strikes in North and South Waziristan, during which some individuals of German origin had been killed, are supposed to pre-empt any new terrorist strikes in Europe by killing those trained or being trained for this function before they might be dispatched to Europe. The safety alerts and travel advisories issued by the US and others point out that regardless of the success of the Drone strikes, there is a worry that some skilled jihadis might have already reached Europe.